Jump to Main Content
- Olofsson, Jill K., et al. Show all 19 Authors
- Ecology letters 2019 v.22 no.2 pp. 302-312
- Alloteropsis; C4 photosynthesis; grasses; leaves; phenotype
- ... C₄ photosynthesis is a complex trait that boosts productivity in warm environments. Paradoxically, it evolved independently in numerous plant lineages, despite requiring specialised leaf anatomy. The anatomical modifications underlying C₄ evolution have previously been evaluated through interspecific comparisons, which capture numerous changes besides those needed for C₄ functionality. Here, we qu ...
- Olofsson, Jill K., et al. Show all 12 Authors
- Molecular ecology 2016 v.25 no.24 pp. 6107-6123
- Alloteropsis; C4 photosynthesis; biogeography; gene flow; genes; genetic variation; genotype; grasses; loci; mutation
- ... Physiological novelties are often studied at macro‐evolutionary scales such that their micro‐evolutionary origins remain poorly understood. Here, we test the hypothesis that key components of a complex trait can evolve in isolation and later be combined by gene flow. We use C₄ photosynthesis as a study system, a derived physiology that increases plant productivity in warm, dry conditions. The gras ...