Jump to Main Content
- Ontoria, Y., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Marine pollution bulletin 2018 v.135 pp. 617-629
- Cymodocea nodosa; Posidonia oceanica; carbon; carbon sequestration; death; dry matter partitioning; ecosystems; homeostasis; invertebrates; mortality; photosynthesis; seagrasses; summer; temperature; thermal stress; water pollution
- ... Increased plant mortality in temperate seagrass populations has been recently observed after summer heatwaves, although the underlying causes of plant death are yet unknown. The potential energetic constrains resulting from anomalous thermal events could be the reason that triggered seagrass mortality, as demonstrated for benthic invertebrates. To test this hypothesis, the carbon balance of Posido ...
- Ontoria, Y., et al. Show all 12 Authors
- Marine pollution bulletin 2018 v.134 pp. 49-54
- Posidonia oceanica; climate change; flowering; heat; heterozygosity; leaves; seagrasses; sexual reproduction; water pollution
- ... Sexual reproduction in predominantly clonal marine plants increases recombination favoring adaptation and enhancing species resilience to environmental change. Recent studies of the seagrass Posidonia oceanica suggest that flowering intensity and frequency are correlated with warming events associated with global climate change, but these studies have been observational without direct experimental ...