Jump to Main Content
- Opulente, Dana A., et al. Show all 13 Authors
- Cell 2019 v.176 no.6 pp. 1356-1366.e10
- Escherichia coli; biosynthesis; eukaryotic cells; gene expression; iron; messenger RNA; operon; siderophores; transcription (genetics); yeasts
- ... Operons are a hallmark of bacterial genomes, where they allow concerted expression of functionally related genes as single polycistronic transcripts. They are rare in eukaryotes, where each gene usually drives expression of its own independent messenger RNAs. Here, we report the horizontal operon transfer of a siderophore biosynthesis pathway from relatives of Escherichia coli into a group of budd ...
- Opulente, Dana A., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Fungal genetics and biology 2016 v.89 pp. 10-17
- Saccharomyces; allopolyploidy; beers; beverage industry; biocatalysts; biofuels; ciders; flow cytometry; fuel production; genetic engineering; hybrids; nuclear genome; polymerase chain reaction; restriction fragment length polymorphism; sporulation; tetraploidy; wines; yeasts
- ... Saccharomyces interspecies hybrids are critical biocatalysts in the fermented beverage industry, including in the production of lager beers, Belgian ales, ciders, and cold-fermented wines. Current methods for making synthetic interspecies hybrids are cumbersome and/or require genome modifications. We have developed a simple, robust, and efficient method for generating allotetraploid strains of pro ...
- PubMed Central:
- Opulente, Dana A., et al. Show all 26 Authors
- Cell 2018 v.175 no.6 pp. 1533-1545.e20
- Devonian period; Saccharomycotina; ancestry; animals; ecosystems; genes; genomics; horizontal gene transfer; phenotype; phylogeny; plants (botany); yeasts
- ... Budding yeasts (subphylum Saccharomycotina) are found in every biome and are as genetically diverse as plants or animals. To understand budding yeast evolution, we analyzed the genomes of 332 yeast species, including 220 newly sequenced ones, which represent nearly one-third of all known budding yeast diversity. Here, we establish a robust genus-level phylogeny comprising 12 major clades, infer th ...