Jump to Main Content
- Parente, Dino, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Applied and environmental microbiology 2007 v.73 no.3 pp. 825-837
- Aerococcus; Corynebacterium; Debaryomyces hansenii; Gram-positive bacteria; Lactobacillus; Staphylococcus; Weissella; citric acid; community structure; denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis; fermentation; leaves; microbial communities; nitrates; nitrites; oxalic acid; pH; population growth; reducing sugars; single-stranded conformational polymorphism; temperature; tobacco
- ... The Italian Toscano cigar production includes a fermentation step that starts when dark fire-cured tobacco leaves are moistened and mixed with ca. 20% prefermented tobacco to form a 500-kg bulk. The dynamics of the process, lasting ca. 18 days, has never been investigated in detail, and limited information is available on microbiota involved. Here we show that Toscano fermentation is invariably as ...
- PubMed Central:
- Parente, Dino, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Applied microbiology and biotechnology 2007 v.75 no.3 pp. 633-645
- Debaryomyces hansenii; NAD (coenzyme); Northern blotting; Southern blotting; ammonia; byproducts; fermentation; genes; manufacturing; nitrites; nitrogen; nitrosamines; reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction; tobacco; transcription (genetics); yeasts
- ... The Italian cigar manufacturing process includes a fermentation step that leads to accumulation of nitrite and tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNA), undesirable by-products due to their negative impact on health. In this study, growth and biochemical properties of Debaryomyces hansenii TOB-Y7, a yeast strain that predominates during the early phase of fermentation, have been investigated. With res ...