Jump to Main Content
- Pedrosa, Mercedes Martin, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Journal of chemical ecology 2010 v.36 no.11 pp. 1244-1254
- Carex; alkaloids; cows; grasslands; grazing; inflorescences; leaves; mountains; phenology; rangelands; stems; summer; toxicity; Spain
- ... Carex brevicollis (Cyperaceae) is a plant of mesic grasslands in calcareous mountains of southern Europe. It contains two different β-carboline alkaloids, brevicolline and brevicarine, the first of which is thought to produce abortions in mammals. In the rangeland of Aliva, within the Picos de Europa massif in northern Spain, the abundance of Carex brevicollis has been linked with the occurrence o ...
- Pedrosa, Mercedes Martín, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of the science of food and agriculture 2013 v.93 no.5 pp. 1076-1082
- Phaseolus vulgaris; blood; blood glucose; breads; canning; dry beans; glucose; insulin; noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus; nutrition; risk; stachyose; triacylglycerols; trypsin inhibitors
- ... BACKGROUND: Legume consumption has been associated with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. However, the type of legume is a modifier of its effect. Two Spanish dry bean varieties—white (‘Almonga’) and cream (‘Curruquilla’)—were analyzed and used in a postprandial study in type 2 diabetics to assess glucose, insulin and triacylglycerol in blood. RESULTS: ‘Curruquilla’ variety had higher to ...
- Pedrosa, Mercedes Martin, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Food and agricultural immunology 2014 v.25 no.2 pp. 173-185
- blood serum; chickpeas; humans; immunoglobulin E; legume protein; lentils; peanuts; polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis; seeds; soybeans
- ... Détente Instantanée Contrôlée (DIC) technology was used to reduce immunoglobulin E (IgE) reactivity of legume proteins. Soybean, roasted peanut, chickpea and lentil seeds were treated at three or six bars for 60 or 180s. The effect of this treatment on the IgE-binding pattern of the legume proteins – separated by sodium-dodecyl-sulphate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis – was monitored by five in ...