Jump to Main Content
- Phillips, Greg R., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2010 v.107 no.31 pp. 13894-13899
- alternative splicing; cadherins; cell adhesion; ganglia; genes; motor neurons; neuroglia; phosphorylation; protein synthesis; receptor protein-tyrosine kinase; transmembrane proteins
- ... The clustered protocadherins (Pcdhs) are a large family of cadherin-like transmembrane proteins expressed in the nervous system. Stochastic expression of Pcdh genes and alternative splicing of their pre-mRNAs have the potential to generate enormous protein diversity at the cell surface of neurons. At present, the regulation and function of Pcdh proteins are largely unknown. Here, we show that Pcdh ...
- PubMed Central:
- Phillips, Greg R., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Science 2005 v.310 no.5755 pp. 1813-1817
- glycoproteins; mice; myelin sheath; nerve tissue; neurites; oligodendroglia; proteomics; rats; spinal cord
- ... Nodes of Ranvier are regularly placed, nonmyelinated axon segments along myelinated nerves. Here we show that nodal membranes isolated from the central nervous system (CNS) of mammals restricted neurite outgrowth of cultured neurons. Proteomic analysis of these membranes revealed several inhibitors of neurite outgrowth, including the oligodendrocyte myelin glycoprotein (OMgp). In rat spinal cord, ...