Jump to Main Content
- Pienaar, Jason, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Oikos 2019 v.128 no.6 pp. 859-868
- Agaonidae; eggs; fecundity; females; inbreeding; insurance; invertebrates; males; mating competitiveness; models; mortality; mothers; natural selection; oviposition sites; prediction; progeny; sex allocation; sex ratio; variance
- ... Sex allocation theory has long generated insights into the nature of natural selection. Classical models have elucidated causal phenomena such as local mate competition and inbreeding on the degree of female bias exhibited by various invertebrates. Typically, these models assume mothers facultatively adjust sex allocation using predictive cues of future offspring mating conditions. Here we relax t ...
- Pienaar, Jason, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2011 v.108 no.38 pp. 15908-15913
- birds; data collection; evolution; mammals; models; stochastic processes
- ... We lack a comprehensive understanding of evolutionary pattern and process because short-term and long-term data have rarely been combined into a single analytical framework. Here we test alternative models of phenotypic evolution using a dataset of unprecedented size and temporal span (over 8,000 data points). The data are body-size measurements taken from historical studies, the fossil record, an ...
- PubMed Central: