Jump to Main Content
- Porter, Philip R., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Hydrological processes 2018 v.32 no.7 pp. 850-865
- air temperature; altitude; aquifers; crystallography; ecosystems; energy flow; fluid mechanics; glaciers; hydraulic conductivity; ice; melting; microorganisms; models; mountains; nutrients; piezometers; runoff; sediments; snowmelt; water table; weathering
- ... The hydrology of near‐surface glacier ice remains a neglected aspect of glacier hydrology despite its role in modulating meltwater delivery to downstream environments. To elucidate the hydrological characteristics of this near‐surface glacial weathering crust, we describe the design and operation of a capacitance‐based piezometer that enables rapid, economical deployment across multiple sites and ...
- Porter, Philip R., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Geomorphology 2013 v.189 pp. 109-120
- glaciers; sediments; shear strength; snowmelt; Switzerland
- ... Glacial reworking of paraglacial rock slope sediment has been inferred from long-deglaciated terrains to contribute significantly to glacial sediment transfer. At Feegletscher, Switzerland, we provide the first description of the geomorphological consequences of glacier advance across paraglacial rock avalanche sediment. This produced a small arcuate end moraine that encloses a zone of hummocky de ...