Jump to Main Content
- Rabinovich, Lev, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of bacteriology 2013 v.195 no.23 pp. 5262-5272
- Listeria monocytogenes; bacteria; bacteriology; culture media; humans; macrophages; mice; mutants; pathogens; phagosomes; phenotype; secretion; virulence
- ... Listeria monocytogenes is a Gram-positive human intracellular pathogen that infects diverse mammalian cells. Upon invasion, L. monocytogenes secretes multiple virulence factors that target host cellular processes and promote infection. It has been presumed, but was not empirically established, that the Sec translocation system is the primary mediator of this secretion. Here, we validate an importa ...
- PubMed Central:
- Rabinovich, Lev, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Cell 2012 v.150 no.4 pp. 792-802
- DNA; Listeria monocytogenes; excision; genes; macrophages; pathogens; phagosomes; progeny; virion; virulence
- ... The DNA uptake competence (Com) system of the intracellular bacterial pathogen Listeria monocytogenes is considered nonfunctional. There are no known conditions for DNA transformation, and the Com master activator gene, comK, is interrupted by a temperate prophage. Here, we show that the L. monocytogenes Com system is required during infection to promote bacterial escape from macrophage phagosomes ...