Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: raven?
- Ravel, Bruce, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Food chemistry 2019 v.272 pp. 126-132
- Fucus vesiculosus; Laminaria digitata; Pelvetia canaliculata; Saccharina latissima; Undaria pinnatifida; X-ray absorption spectroscopy; antioxidant activity; antioxidants; bioactive compounds; bromine; chlorination; chlorine; iodine; lipids; macroalgae; moieties; plant extracts
- ... Brown algae, rich in antioxidants and other bioactive compounds, are important dietary seaweeds in many cultures. Like other marine macroalgae, brown seaweeds are known to accumulate the halogens iodine and bromine. Comparatively little is known about the chemistry of chlorine in seaweeds. We used synchrotron-based X-ray absorption spectroscopy to measure total non-volatile organochlorine and -bro ...
- Ravel, Bruce, et al. Show all 2 Author
- Environmental science 2015 v.49 no.22 pp. 13350-13359
- Pinus; Quercus; bromides; bromination; edaphic factors; enzyme activity; forest litter; humic substances; humus; hydrogen peroxide; iron; organic horizons; oxidants; oxidation; particulate organic matter
- ... Biogeochemical transformations of plant-derived soil organic matter (SOM) involve complex abiotic and microbially mediated reactions. One such reaction is halogenation, which occurs naturally in the soil environment and has been associated with enzymatic activity of decomposer organisms. Building on a recent finding that naturally produced organobromine is ubiquitous in SOM, we hypothesized that i ...
- Ravel, Bruce, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of environmental quality 2009 v.38 no.1 pp. 53-60
- Desulfuromonaceae; bioremediation; sediment contamination; uranium; reduction; ethanol; methanol; humic acids; microorganisms; species diversity; ribosomal RNA; microbial genetics; Clostridium; Desulfosporosinus; redox potential; Tennessee
- ... Bioremediation of uranium was investigated in microcosm experiments containing contaminated sediments from Oak Ridge, Tennessee to explore the importance of electron donor selection for uranium reduction rate and extent. In these experiments, all of the electron donors, including ethanol, glucose, methanol, and methanol with added humic acids, stimulated the reduction and immobilization of aqueous ...