Jump to Main Content
- Rojo-Poveda, Olga, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Food research international 2019 v.123 pp. 684-696
- acids; alcohols; aldehydes; biomarkers; byproducts; chemometrics; cocoa beans; cultivars; electronic nose; flavor; functional foods; gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; headspace analysis; ingredients; ketones; principal component analysis; provenance; pyrazines; solid phase microextraction; volatile organic compounds
- ... The cocoa bean shell (CBS) is a main by-product of cocoa processing, with great potential to be used as an ingredient for functional foods because of its nutritional and flavour properties. This study aimed to characterise and classify CBSs obtained from cocoa beans of diverse cultivars and collected in different geographical origins through their volatile profile assessed using headspace solid-ph ...
- Rojo-Poveda, Olga, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Nutrients 2019 v.11 no.4
- antioxidant activity; antioxidants; beans; beverages; byproducts; cocoa beans; cocoa industry; consumer acceptance; dietary fiber; economic impact; enzyme inhibition; ingredients; methylxanthines; odors; particle size; polyphenols
- ... One of the main by-products in cocoa industry is the cocoa bean shell (CBS), which represents approximately 12–20% of the bean. This product has been suggested as a food ingredient because of its aroma and high dietary fiber and polyphenol contents. The purpose of this work was to evaluate the effects of the CBS particle size and extraction methods on the chemical composition and consumer ac ...