Jump to Main Content
- Rutherford, Malcolm J., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Science 2013 v.340 no.6138 pp. 1317-1320
- glass; hydrogen; isotopes; melting
- ... Common Water The Moon has been traditionally considered bone-dry, but in recent years a number of studies have shown that during mantle melting, the lunar mantle had as much water as Earth's upper mantle. Saal et al. (p. 1317, published online 9 May; see the cover) measured the isotopic composition of hydrogen dissolved in volcanic glass and olivine-hosted melt inclusions recovered from the Moon b ...
- Rutherford, Malcolm J., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2013 v.110 no.20 pp. 8010-8013
- basalt; carbon; carbon dioxide; evolution; greenhouses; melting; mercury; methane; oxidation; oxygen; solubility; volcanic activity
- ... Degassing of planetary interiors through surface volcanism plays an important role in the evolution of planetary bodies and atmospheres. On Earth, carbon dioxide and water are the primary volatile species in magmas. However, little is known about the speciation and degassing of carbon in magmas formed on other planets (i.e., Moon, Mars, Mercury), where the mantle oxidation state [oxygen fugacity ( ...
- PubMed Central: