Jump to Main Content
- Santiago-Mateo, Kristina, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Developmental and comparative immunology 2016 v.65 pp. 340-351
- Peyer's patches; antibodies; blood serum; fetal development; ileum; immunoglobulin A; immunoglobulin M; neonates; piglets; probiotics
- ... The ileal Peyers patches (IPP) of newborn germfree (GF) piglets were isolated into blind loops and the piglets colonized with a defined probiotic microflora. After 5 weeks, IgA levels in the intestinal lavage (IL) of loop piglets remained at GF levels and IgM comprised ∼70% while in controls, IgA levels were elevated 5-fold and comprised ∼70% of total Igs. Loop piglets also had reduced serum IgA l ...
- Santiago-Mateo, Kristina, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Journal of food protection 2013 v.76 no.4 pp. 699-701
- Bacillus anthracis; animals; bleaching agents; cold; decontamination; disinfectants; foams; hydrogen peroxide; sodium hypochlorite; spores; stainless steel; temperature; viability
- ... Bacillus anthracis Sterne strain spores were analyzed for their resistance against five disinfectants: commercial sodium hypochlorite, Spor-Klenz Ready-to-Use Cold Sterilant, Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide (AHP), Virkon, and Surface Decontamination Foam (SDF). The aim of this study was to find an effective disinfectant that would reduce the viability of B. anthracis Sterne spores at ≥6 log in the p ...
- Santiago-Mateo, Kristina, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Veterinary microbiology 2012 v.159 no.3-4 pp. 337-342
- adhesins; adhesion; blood proteins; cell culture; diarrhea; enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli; enterotoxins; epithelial cells; fimbriae; genes; heat stability; ileum; jejunum; models; nonpathogenic strains; piglets; placebos; plasmid vectors; vector control; virulence; weight loss
- ... Virulence of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) is associated with fimbrial adhesins and enterotoxins such as heat-labile (LT) and/or heat-stable (ST) enterotoxins. Previous studies using a cell culture model suggest that exclusion of ETEC from attachment to epithelial cells requires expression of both an adhesin such as K88 (F4) fimbriae, and LT. To test the ability of non-pathogenic E. coli ...