Jump to Main Content
- Sattler, Renae, et al. Show all 2 Author
- Zoo biology 2017 v.36 no.5 pp. 323-331
- Eumetopias jubatus; adults; blood serum; breeding season; corpus luteum; diagnostic techniques; diapause; estradiol; estrus; fecundity; females; pregnancy; progesterone; pseudopregnancy
- ... While the proximate driver behind the decline of the Western stock of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus, >80% since 1970s) is likely multifactorial, the population reduction may have been powered by a decrease in fecundity. A harvest of Steller sea lions in the 1970s and 80s revealed a 30% reduction in the proportion of pregnant females from early (October–November) to late gestation (April–Ma ...
- Sattler, Renae, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Theriogenology 2018 v.120 pp. 25-32
- Eumetopias jubatus; adults; animal welfare; breeding; breeding programs; breeding season; cell biology; copulation; estrus; feces; females; gastrointestinal system; monitoring; proestrus; sampling; ultrasonics; uncertainty
- ... The ability to monitor the estrus cycle in wild and captive marine species is important for identifying reproductive failures, ensuring a successful breeding program, and monitoring animal welfare. Minimally invasive sampling methods to monitor estrus in captive populations have been developed, but results suggest these tools can be species-specific in their precision and accuracy. Therefore, the ...