Jump to Main Content
- Scheppe, Karalyn, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Algal research 2017 v.25 pp. 297-306
- algae; biofuels; biomass; boiling point; feedstocks; liquefaction; mixed culture; models; oils; wastewater; wastewater treatment
- ... Previous studies demonstrate that the high ash contents appeared to inhibit the formation of biocrude oil in the hydrothermal liquefaction (HTL) processes. In order to investigate the effect of ash contents on the HTL reaction, mixed-culture algal biomass from wastewater systems (AW) was separated into two fractions (AW-41.8 and AW-38.5) and converted into biocrude oil via HTL at 300°C for a 60min ...
- Scheppe, Karalyn, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2016 v.4 no.4 pp. 2182-2190
- Chlorella; Spirulina; algae; biofuels; carbon; emulsifying; fatty acids; gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; hydrogen; liquefaction; nitrogen content; pig manure; solvents; surfactants
- ... This study demonstrates that water can serve as a green solvent to achieve denitrogenation of biocrude oil converted from wet biowaste via hydrothermal liquefaction (HTL) under previously determined optimal reaction conditions (300 °C with a 1 h reaction time for swine manure and Chlorella; 300 °C with a 0.5 h reaction time for Spirulina). It was hypothesized that water could extract relatively po ...