Jump to Main Content
- Seay, Jeffrey R., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- ACS sustainable chemistry & engineering 2018 v.6 no.3 pp. 2829-2844
- biorefining; case studies; mathematical models; profitability; systems engineering
- ... Unlike traditional chemical and petrochemical processes, Process Systems Engineering (PSE) tools and methods have not been routinely applied for the design, analysis, and optimization of fermentation-based biorefineries. This has greatly limited the ability to analyze these biomass-based processes, thus also limiting the potential profitability of biorefinery processes. This Perspective elucidates ...
- Seay, Jeffrey R., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Bioprocess and biosystems engineering 2018 v.41 no.9 pp. 1283-1294
- batch fermentation; cell growth; continuous fermentation; models
- ... Process simulations of batch fermentations with in situ product separation traditionally decouple these interdependent steps by simulating a separate “steady state” continuous fermentation and separation units. In this study, an integrated batch fermentation and separation process was simulated for a model system of acetone–butanol–ethanol (ABE) fermentation with in situ gas stripping, such that t ...