Jump to Main Content
- Seidel, Robin, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of materials science 2014 v.49 no.1 pp. 43-51
- aluminum; cell walls; citrus peels; composite materials; deformation; energy; foams; pummelos; spatial distribution; temperature; tensile strength
- ... The article presents the production and investigation of a bio-inspired metal–metal-composite inspired by the pomelo peel. The pomelo fruit is able to withstand a fall externally undamaged, even from heights of over 10 m most likely due to the hierarchical structuring of its foamy peel, which represents a complex composite structure. Especially the foam’s struts, which are cells from the biologica ...
- Seidel, Robin, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Journal of experimental botany 2012 v.63 no.1 pp. 191-201
- Galium aparine; Hedera helix subsp. helix; adventitious roots; bark; extensibility; hosts; modulus of elasticity; tensile strength; trees; vines
- ... Root climbers such as English ivy (Hedera helix) rely on specialized adventitious roots for attachment, enabling the plants to climb on a wide range of natural and artificial substrates. Despite their importance for the climbing habit, the biomechanical properties of these specialized adventitious roots compared with standard roots and their performance in the attachment to different host species ...
- PubMed Central: