Jump to Main Content
- Simpson, Brian N., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Forests 2019 v.10 no.7
- air temperature; boreal forests; burning; climate change; drought; fire frequency; fire spread; fuel moisture index; fuels (fire ecology); habitat connectivity; humidity; landscapes; models; peatlands; vegetation cover; water table; wildfires; wind speed; Canada
- ... Drought is usually the precursor to large wildfires in northwestern boreal Canada, a region with both large wildfire potential and extensive peatland cover. Fire is a contagious process, and given weather conducive to burning, wildfires may be naturally limited by the connectivity of fuels and the connectivity of landscapes such as peatlands. Boreal peatlands fragment landscapes when wet and conne ...
- Simpson, Brian N., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Forest ecology and management 2016 v.372 pp. 19-27
- Larix laricina; Picea mariana; air; canopy; carbon; climate; drainage; forest inventory; forests; models; organic soils; peat; peatlands; prediction; raster data; regression analysis; soil depth; temperature; wildfires; Canada; Great Lakes
- ... Mapping peatland extent in Canada would contribute important information concerning carbon balance and hydrology. While such mapping, based on air photo interpretation and remote sensing data, has recently improved, maps have been limited to 1:1million scale. We hypothesized that forest structure information from forest inventory plots could be used to predict the presence of forested and treed pe ...