Jump to Main Content
- Smilkstein, Martin J., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia 2019 v.29 no.1 pp. 36-39
- Anacardium occidentale; Plasmodium falciparum; acids; alkylphenols; antimalarials; antiplasmodial properties; ethanol; inhibitory concentration 50; liquid chromatography; mass spectrometry; nuts
- ... The ethanol crude extract from cashew (Anacardium occidentale L. Anacardiaceae) displayed significant antiplasmodial activity (IC50 0.577μg/ml). Liquid chromatography-high resolution Mass spectrometry analysis was performed to identify the main compounds existing in the ethanol extract. The occurrence of anacardic acids, cardols, and 2-methylcardols derivatives was confirmed in the extract. The IC ...
- Smilkstein, Martin J., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Experimental parasitology 2011 v.127 no.2 pp. 545-551
- Plasmodium falciparum; humans; multiple drug resistance; models; microsomes; mice; polyethylene glycol; structure-activity relationships; parasitology; rats; malaria; oral administration; quinolones; antimalarials
- ... Our prior work on tricyclic acridones combined with a desire to minimize the tricyclic system led to an interest in antimalarial quinolones and a reexamination of endochin, an experimental antimalarial from the 1940’s. In the present article, we show that endochin is unstable in the presence of murine, rat, and human microsomes which may explain its relatively poor antimalarial activity in mammali ...
- PubMed Central:
- Smilkstein, Martin J., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Molecular and biochemical parasitology 2008 v.159 no.1 pp. 64-68
- Plasmodium falciparum; antimalarials; biochemistry; drug resistance; electron transfer; parasites; phenotype
- ... Mitochondrial electron transport is essential for survival in Plasmodium falciparum, making the cytochrome (cyt) bc ₁ complex an attractive target for antimalarial drug development. Here we report that P. falciparum cultivated in the presence of a novel cyt bc ₁ inhibitor underwent a fundamental transformation in biochemistry to a phenotype lacking a requirement for electron transport through the ...
- PubMed Central: