Jump to Main Content
- Stefanescu, C.
- Ecological entomology 2001 v.26 no.5 pp. 525-536
- eclosion; Nymphalidae; overwintering; reproduction; migratory behavior; food plants; age structure; breeding sites; plant density; Urtica dioica; seasonal variation; latitude; altitude; population dynamics; Spain; Mediterranean region
- ... 1. The migrant Vanessa atalanta (L.) occurs throughout Europe and North Africa. In autumn, populations emigrate from northern and central Europe to the Mediterranean region to overwinter. In the spring, the northern range is recolonised by migrants from the south. The dynamics of the species in the winter range is poorly known. 2. From 1994 to 1999, adults and immatures of V. atalanta were monitor ...
- Stefanescu, C., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Journal of chemical ecology 2006 v.32 no.9 pp. 1925-1933
- Lonicera; leaves; Euphydryas; butterflies; phytophagous insects; host plants; host specificity; oviposition sites; chemical constituents of plants; iridoid glycosides; Spain
- ... We tested in the field the hypothesis that the specialist butterfly Euphydryas aurinia (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae, Melitaeinae) lays eggs on leaves of Lonicera implexa (Caprifoliaceae) plants with greater iridoid concentrations. We conducted our investigations in a Mediterranean site by analyzing leaves with and without naturally laid egg clusters. There were no significant differences in iridoid g ...