Jump to Main Content
- Sutaria, Dipani, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Ambio 2020 v.49 no.2 pp. 616-627
- consumer demand; domestic markets; economic impact; fins; fisheries; international trade; issues and policy; juveniles; meat; sharks; surveys; India
- ... This study evaluates local-scale drivers of shark harvests in India, one of the world’s largest shark fishing nations. Focusing on key harbours in the states of Gujarat and Maharashtra, which together contribute 54% of India’s shark harvest, this study uses a semi-structured survey to examine the practices of shark fishers and traders, their knowledge of shark trade and policy, and perceptions of ...
- Sutaria, Dipani, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Aquatic conservation 2018 v.28 no.6 pp. 1374-1383
- Rhizoprionodon acutus; allometry; coasts; demographic statistics; females; fishing boats; life history; males; monsoon season; mortality; neonates; seasonal variation; sex ratio; sharks; India
- ... Biological data including size, sex ratios, male maturity, and length and weight relationships for four commercially important shark species, including the milk shark (Rhizoprionodon acutus Rüppell, 1837), the grey sharpnose shark (Rhizoprionodon oligolinx Springer, 1964), the spadenose shark (Scoliodon laticaudus Muller & Henle, 1838), and the bigeye smoothhound shark (Iago omanensis Norman, 1939 ...
- SUTARIA, DIPANI, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Conservation biology 2010 v.24 no.4 pp. 1130-1140
- Platanista gangetica; biodiversity; boats; community structure; dolphins; dry season; endangered species; fish; fish communities; fisheries; freshwater; habitat preferences; humans; immigration; livelihood; monitoring; predators; rivers; India
- ... Freshwater biodiversity conservation is generally perceived to conflict with human use and extraction (e.g., fisheries). Overexploited fisheries upset the balance between local economic needs and endangered species' conservation. We investigated resource competition between fisheries and Ganges river dolphins ( Platanista gangetica gangetica) in a human-dominated river system in India to assess th ...