Jump to Main Content
- van Epenhuijsen, C.W., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Postharvest biology and technology 2008 v.48 no.1 pp. 139-145
- onions; Thrips tabaci; insect pests; storage pests; Aspergillus niger; postharvest diseases; plant pathogenic fungi; controlled atmosphere storage; carbon dioxide; metabolism; microbial growth; calorimetry; ambient temperature
- ... The effects on onion thrips (Thrips tabaci) of controlled atmospheres (CAs) containing 15, 30, 45 and 60% carbon dioxide in air were determined by measuring the metabolic heat rates (MHRs) using microcalorimetry and compared with previous conventional trials. Black mould (Aspergillus niger), cultured in several different ways, was exposed to the same CAs with the effects being determined by microc ...
- Van Epenhuijsen, C.W., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of stored products research 2008 v.44 no.3 pp. 295-303
- Tribolium confusum; interspecific variation; thermogravimetry; anaerobic conditions; controlled atmosphere storage; developmental stages; food storage; storage temperature; storage insects; insect physiology; mortality; calorimetry; Sitophilus oryzae
- ... Metabolic heat rates, determined by microcalorimetry, were used to measure the effect of controlled atmospheres (CAs) and elevated temperatures on the stored-product insects Sitophilus oryzae (rice weevil) and Tribolium confusum (confused flour beetle). Results for larval and adult stages in air, and in a range of low O2 and/or high CO2 CAs, at temperatures from 15 to 45 °C, showed the general eff ...