Jump to Main Content
- Vandeweyer, Dries, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- International journal of food microbiology 2019 v.290 pp. 288-295
- Orthoptera; antibiotic resistance; antibiotic resistance genes; business enterprises; edible insects; food matrix; foods; geographical distribution; human health; humans; microbiome; microorganisms; postharvest treatment; quantitative polymerase chain reaction; rearing; risk; Belgium; Netherlands
- ... The occurrence of antibiotic resistance genes in foodstuffs involves a human health risk. Fresh edible insects present an emerging source of human food but they were not yet assessed in a quantitative way for antibiotic resistances as a matter of food safety. In this study, a real-time quantitative PCR assessment was optimised to detect and quantify relevant transferable antibiotic resistance gene ...
- Vandeweyer, Dries, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + [i.e. und] Technologie 2019 v.115 pp. 108462
- Clostridium; Ensete ventricosum; Enterobacteriaceae; Lactobacillus plantarum; Leuconostoc mesenteroides; agar; biomass; fermentation; jars; lactic acid; lactic acid bacteria; liquids; pH; proximate composition; sauerkraut; spores; starter cultures
- ... In this study, lactic acid bacteria strains were screened for the development of (a) starter culture(s) specific for enset (Ensete ventricosum) fermentation. To this end, 158 isolates grown on de Man, Rogosa and Sharpe agar were obtained from fermenting enset and traditional starter material. They were screened based on their biochemical characteristics. Three promising strains, two Lactobacillus ...