Jump to Main Content
- Verweijen, Judith, et al. Show all 2 Author
- TheJournal of peasant studies 2018 v.45 no.2 pp. 300-320
- fuels; law enforcement; livelihood; logging; national parks; natural resources conservation; violence; Democratic Republic of the Congo
- ... The growing militarisation of nature conservation has refocused attention on the relations between counterinsurgency and conservation. This contribution analyses how these two phenomena entwine in the Virunga National Park, located in the war-ridden east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It examines how this entwinement relates to dynamics of conflict and violence, and how these dynamics sh ...
- Verweijen, Judith, et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Biological conservation 2019 v.232 pp. 66-73
- people; politics; risk; violence; wildlife
- ... Concerns about poaching and trafficking have led conservationists to seek urgent responses to tackle the impact on wildlife. One possible solution is the militarisation of conservation, which holds potentially far-reaching consequences. It is important to engage critically with the militarisation of conservation, including identifying and reflecting on the problems it produces for wildlife, for pe ...