Jump to Main Content
- Winter, Evelyn, et al. Show all 13 Authors
- BMC complementary and alternative medicine 2016 v.16 no.1 pp. 421
- Millettia; adults; alternative medicine; chromatography; cytotoxicity; epithelium; estrogenic properties; methanol; nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy; osteoporosis; ovariectomy; postmenopause; rats; reporter genes; secondary metabolites; traditional medicine
- ... BACKGROUND: Millettia macrophylla was previously reported to have estrogenic effects and to prevent postmenopausal osteoporosis in Wistar rats. So, the study deals with the identification of its secondary metabolites and the evaluation of their estrogenicity and cytotoxicity toward tumoural cells. Thus, 13 known compounds were obtained from successive chromatographic columns and identified by NMR ...
- PubMed Central:
- Winter, Evelyn, et al. Show all 12 Authors
- Journal of ethnopharmacology 2016 v.179 pp. 332-344
- Ficus; adults; amenorrhea; coumarin; dose response; epithelium; estrogen receptors; estrogenic properties; fractionation; humans; kidneys; medicinal plants; menopause; methanol; ovariectomy; protein content; rats; reporter genes; traditional medicine; Cameroon
- ... Ficus umbellata Vahl. (Moraceae) is a medicinal plant used in Cameroon to treat amenorrhea as well as other physiological disorders related to menopause.In order to justify scientifically its traditional use, the estrogen-like properties of the aqueous (AE) and methanol (MeOH) extracts of F. umbellata were investigated.In vitro, the ability of different extracts of F. umbellata to activate estroge ...
- Winter, Evelyn, et al. Show all 15 Authors
- Journal of ethnopharmacology 2016 v.190 pp. 183-199
- Crateva adansonii; DNA; DNA fingerprinting; animal use replacement; asthma; body weight; breast neoplasms; carcinogenesis; constipation; cytotoxicity; females; flavonols; histology; human cell lines; hyperplasia; in vitro studies; in vivo studies; laboratory animals; lethal dose 50; lignans; liquids; mammary glands; methanol; methylene chloride; models; neoplasm cells; postmenopause; rats; sesquiterpenoids; snake bites; spectroscopy; tamoxifen; traditional medicine; Cameroon
- ... Crateva adansonii DC is a plant traditionally used in Cameroon to treat constipation, asthma, snakebites, postmenopausal complaints and cancers.The anticancer potential of the dichloromethane/methanol extract of C. adansonii stem barks was investigated using human breast cancer cell and 7,12 dimethylbenz(a)anththracene (DMBA)-induced mammary tumorigenesis model in rats.The cytotoxicity of C. adans ...