Jump to Main Content
- Zacarias, Anabela, et al. Show all 13 Authors
- Physiological and molecular plant pathology 2019 v.105 pp. 77-87
- cassava; cleaning; disease outbreaks; drug therapy; farmers; thermotherapy; tissue culture; Kenya; Malawi; Mozambique; Tanzania; Uganda; United Kingdom
- ... Here, we report a method to clean cassava plants from viral infections that cause cassava mosaic and brown streak diseases in Africa. Infected plants of resistant or tolerant varieties from Malawi, Mozambique, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda were cleaned in the UK using a combination of tissue culture, chemotherapy and thermotherapy. In the first cycle of our virus-indexing procedure, we successfully c ...
- Zacarias, Anabela, et al. Show all 29 Authors
- Food security 2018 v.10 no.2 pp. 351-368
- Cassava brown streak virus; breeding programs; cassava; clones; germplasm exchange; human resources; income; infrastructure; micropropagation; plant health; plantlets; tissue culture; tropical agriculture; viruses; Kenya; Malawi; Mozambique; Tanzania; Uganda
- ... Cassava varieties resistant to cassava mosaic disease (CMD) and cassava brown streak disease (CBSD) are needed for the food and income security of the rural poor in eastern and southern Africa (ESA). The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture led five national cassava breeding programs (Malawi, Mozambique, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda) in virus-cleaning and exchanging elite cassava germplas ...
- Zacarias, Anabela M., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 2012 v.60 no.19 pp. 4946-4956
- Manihot esculenta; carbon; cassava; cultivars; leaves; low input agriculture; mycorrhizae; mycorrhizal fungi; nutrient content; plant tissues; roots; Mozambique
- ... The purpose of this study was to assess the quality of cassava cultivars, in terms of cyanogenic potential and composition of macro- and micronutrients, sampled from different locations in rural Mozambique. Total cyanide concentrations in fresh cassava tissues were measured using portable cyanide testing kits, and elemental nutrients were later analyzed from dried plant tissue. Variation in cyanog ...