Jump to Main Content
- Zasso, Renato, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Applied animal behaviour science 2017 v.191 pp. 67-77
- animal behavior; disasters; dogs; locomotion; odds ratio; snow; space and time; teams
- ... Avalanche search dogs are valuable resources in the event of environmental disasters. The aim of this study was to determine whether dog search strategies and dynamics of interaction with his handler influence team performance during a simulated avalanche search trial. This consisted in discovering a warm scented article, buried under the snow (−20cm), within a specific space and time frame (10min ...
- Zasso, Renato, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Physiology & behavior 2016 v.163 pp. 193-202
- aspartate transaminase; attitudes and opinions; behavior change; blood sampling; body temperature; cortisol; creatine kinase; dogs; environmental factors; exercise; free fatty acids; heart rate; humans; lactate dehydrogenase; motivation; risk; stress response; walking
- ... Saving human lives is of paramount importance in avalanche rescue missions. Avalanche military dogs represent an invaluable resource in these operations. However, their performance can be influenced by several environmental, social and transport challenges. If too severe, these are likely to activate a range of responses to stress, which might put at risk the dogs' welfare. The aim of this study w ...