Jump to Main Content
- Zhao, Tim S., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Applied energy 2015 v.145 pp. 306-319
- batteries; convection; electric field; electrodes; ions; models; protons; vanadium
- ... A thorough understanding of the mechanisms of ion crossover through the membranes in vanadium redox flow batteries (VRFBs) is critically important in making improvements to the battery’s efficiency and cycling performance. In this work, we develop a 2-D VRFB model to investigate the mechanisms of ion crossover and the associated impacts it has on the battery’s performance. Unlike previously descri ...
- Zhao, Tim S., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Applied energy 2014 v.136 pp. 576-581
- temperature; ions; diffusivity; energy density; iron; electrochemistry; carbon electrodes; oxidation; mass transfer; solubility; bromides; batteries
- ... Low energy density resulting from the limited solubility of conventional electroactive species in electrolyte solutions has been one of the most critical barriers in the viability of redox flow batteries. Here we report a novel positive electrolyte that consists of two redox couples, viz. Fe3+/Fe2+ and Br2/Br−. It is shown that both the capacity and energy density of this positive electrolyte are, ...