Jump to Main Content
- Zhong, Yinzhao, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Nutrition 2019 v.60 pp. 217-226
- antagonists; biogenesis; butyrates; essential amino acids; gene expression; leucine; messenger RNA; metabolic diseases; metabolites; mitochondria; myotubes; obesity; skeletal muscle
- ... Mitochondrial dysfunction in skeletal muscle has emerged as key to the development of obesity and its related metabolic disorders. Leucine (Leu) is an essential amino acid that has been reported to increase mitochondrial biogenesis in muscle cells, as has its metabolite β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate (HMB). However, two questions—which one is more potent and what is the cellular mechanisms of the acti ...
- Zhong, Yinzhao, et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Journal of functional foods 2019 v.52 pp. 34-42
- Large White; butyrates; landraces; leucine; longissimus muscle; low protein diet; metabolites; muscle protein; phosphorylation; protein synthesis; skeletal muscle; swine; swine feeding
- ... This study aimed to investigate the effects of leucine (Leu) and its metabolites (α-ketoisocaproate (KIC) and β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate (HMB)) on muscle protein metabolism in growing pigs fed low-protein diets. 32 pigs (Large White × Landrace, 9.55 ± 0.19 kg) were divided into four groups (basal diet, L-Leu, KIC-Ca, HMB-Ca). Results showed that compared to the control, dietary supplementation of ...