Jump to Main Content
- Al Karaimeh, Sufyan
- Journal of arid environments 2019 v.166 pp. 108-115
- arable soils; arid zones; atmospheric precipitation; deserts; dry environmental conditions; groundwater; irrigation; land use; landscapes; surveys; water management; Jordan
- ... The site of Udhruh is located in the arid desert of southern Jordan, about 15 km to the east of Petra. The site was built by the Nabataeans but expanded by the Romans (as a defensive site) and was continuously occupied until the Early Islamic period. It receives less than the 200 mm of annual precipitation, which is crucial for agricultural cultivation. Archaeological evidence from earlier excavat ...
- al-Karaimeh, Sufyan, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Journal of arid environments 2019 v.160 pp. 56-73
- Mediterranean climate; cities; dry environmental conditions; hinterland; irrigation canals; land use; loess; nutrients; rainfed farming; rocks; runoff; runoff irrigation; soil; steppes; surveys; terraces; water resources; Jordan
- ... This contribution compares the remains of irrigation systems along a climatic transect in northern Jordan: Gadara (today Umm Qeis) in the north-west, Abila (today Queilbeh) in the north, and Umm el-Jimal (ancient name unknown) in north-east Jordan. While Gadara and Abila were monumental ancient cities of the Decapolis city league, which are located in Mediterranean environments, Umm el-Jimal is a ...