Jump to Main Content
- de Winter, R., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Geomorphology 2019 v.327 pp. 28-47
- dunes; geometry; hydrodynamics; islands; models; sediment transport; sediments; topography; Denmark; Germany; Netherlands; North Sea
- ... Storm-induced sediment transport across a barrier island can lead to vertical accretion and onshore migration of the barrier island. Many barrier islands either have high dunes that prevent inundation, or are so low-lying that they are inundated several times a year. The Wadden Islands in the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark typically have alongshore-varying topography, where high dunes alternate ...
- de Winter, R. C., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Climatic change 2017 v.141 no.4 pp. 685-701
- case studies; climate change; coasts; hydrodynamics; models; sand; sea level; storms
- ... Climate change could have large implications for the management of dune-fringed coasts. Sea level rise and changes in storm wave and surge characteristics could lead to enhanced dune erosion and hence a decrease in safety levels. Here, we use the process-based model XBeach to quantify the impact of sea level rise and changing hydrodynamic boundary conditions on the magnitude of future dune erosion ...