Jump to Main Content
- van Sluis, Christiaan, et al. Show all 15 Authors
- Journal of sea research 2019 v.144 pp. 85-94
- Cancer pagurus; Pholis; Portunidae; Sabellaria; biodiversity; continental shelf; crabs; habitats; issues and policy; reefs; sand; valleys; North Sea
- ... The tube-building polychaete Sabellaria spinulosa (Ross worm) can form conspicuous biogenic reefs that stabilize the seabed and increase biodiversity by providing a habitat for a multitude of other species. These reefs, however, are assumed to be vulnerable to human-induced physical disturbances of the seabed. In the Greater North Sea, S. spinulosa reefs are recognized to be under threat and worth ...
- van Sluis, Christiaan, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Marine biology 2011 v.158 no.4 pp. 747-756
- Amphipoda; Chlorophycota; Fucus vesiculosus; Gastropoda; biomass; food webs; habitats; macroalgae; microalgae; omnivores; predation; seafoods; shrimp
- ... We tested the relative strength of direct versus indirect effects of an aquatic omnivore depending on the functional composition of grazers by manipulating the presence of gastropod and amphipod grazers and omnivorous shrimp in outdoor mesocosms. By selectively preying upon amphipods and reducing their abundance by 70â80%, omnivorous shrimp favoured the dominance of gastropods. While gastropods ...
- PubMed Central: