PubAg

Main content area

Analysis of coal tar pitch and smoke extract components and their cytotoxicity on human bronchial epithelial cells

Author:
Li, Zhitao, Wu, Yongjun, Zhao, Yong, Wang, Lixia, Zhu, Hansong, Qin, Lijuan, Feng, Feifei, Wang, Wei, Wu, Yiming
Source:
Journal of hazardous materials 2011 v.186 no.2-3 pp. 1277-1282
ISSN:
0304-3894
Subject:
alkenes, byproducts, coal, cytotoxicity, dimethyl sulfoxide, dose response, epithelial cells, gas chromatography, heterocyclic compounds, humans, industry, lethal concentration 50, mass spectrometry, pollutants, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, smoke
Abstract:
Coal tar pitch and its smoke are considered hazardous by-products and common pollutant generated from coal industry processing. In this study, coal tar pitch and its smoke extracts were characterized by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) with dimethylsulfoxide. We identified only 0.3025% of components in the total coal tar pitch using GC/MS. Among 18 identified compounds, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) has the highest relative abundance (0.19%). The remaining components were composed of monocyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, heterocyclic compounds and alkenes. In contrast, among 38 coal tar pitch smoke extract constituents that have been profiled, 87.91% were PAHs, and the remaining 12.09% were composed of monocyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, heterocyclic compounds and alkenes. The cytotoxic effect of coal tar pitch and its smoke extracts on BEAS-2B cells were also evaluated by MTT assay. BEAS-2B cells exposed to coal tar pitch showed a non dose-dependent U-shaped cytotoxicity with a dosage for maximal inhibitory of 3.75mg/L. In contrast, BEAS-2B cells exposed to coal tar pitch smoke extracts showed a dose dependent cytotoxicity with a LC₅₀ of 8.64mg/L. Our study demonstrated the significant different composition and cytotoxicity of coal tar pitch and its extracts, suggesting two different underlying mechanisms that are pending future investigation.
Agid:
1013114