PubAg

Main content area

Pathogenesis of systemic Mycobacterium avium infection in pigs through histological analysis of hepatic lesions

Author:
Hibiya, Kenji, Utsunomiya, Kimiko, Yoshida, Takashi, Toma, Satoshi, Higa, Futoshi, Tateyama, Masao, Fujita, Jiro
Source:
Canadian journal of veterinary research 2010 v.74 no.4 pp. 252-257
ISSN:
0830-9000
Subject:
Mycobacterium avium, bacteremia, hepatitis, liver, lymph nodes, pathogenesis, swine
Abstract:
Mycobacterium avium causes systemic infections through primary intestinal lesions in pigs. However, its pathogenesis is not well understood. The aim of this study was to confirm the effects on swine after enteral infection. One hundred and twelve pigs with hepatic lesions infected with M. avium were used in this study. We investigated the involvement of other organs and the distribution of hepatic lesions in the lobular structure. Most lesions involved the mesenteric lymph nodes. Hepatic lymph nodes were the secondary nodes involved. In 74 cases (66.1%), the hepatic lesions were predominantly distributed in the portal tract of the affected livers. The other 38 cases (33.9%) showed granulomatous lesions in the hepatic lobule. Many cases showed interface hepatitis. There was a significant relationship between focal lesions within hepatic lobule and splenic lesions. These findings suggest that granulomatous lesions formed in hepatic lobules upon establishment of bacteremia in pigs systemically infected with M. avium.
Agid:
295547