PubAg

Main content area

Development of protein enriched noodles using texturized defatted meal from sunflower, flaxseed and soybean

Author:
Bhise, Suresh, Kaur, A., Aggarwal, Poonam
Source:
Journal of food science and technology 2015 v.52 no.9 pp. 5882-5889
ISSN:
0022-1155
Subject:
Helianthus annuus, color, cooking quality, extrusion, linseed, noodles, protein content, sensory properties, soybeans, sunflower meal, texturization, wheat flour
Abstract:
Texturized defatted meals from sunflower, soybean and flaxseed prepared using extrusion technology were incorporated in noodles to improve the protein content of noodles. Noodles were also evaluated for chemical composition, cooking quality, color, functional, textural and sensory properties. Sensory, color and cooking characteristics of noodles were negatively affected with increasing level as texturized flour compared with the control. Noodles with 10 % texturized sunflower and flaxseed flour received the highest sensory scores. Overall acceptability scores were maximum for control and noodles with 10 % texturized defatted meal of sunflower and flaxseed. Further incorporation of 20 % texturized defatted flour from soybean in noodle making gave satisfactory results in terms of overall acceptability. It was concluded that texturized defatted meal serve as good substitute to wheat flour with increased protein content in noodles production and utilization.
Agid:
4407012