PubAg

Main content area

A technique to determine the behavior of a radio-tagged animal

Author:
Nams, Vilis O.
Source:
Canadian journal of zoology 1989 v.67 no.2 pp. 254-258
ISSN:
0008-4301
Subject:
Mephitis mephitis, discriminant analysis, radio, radio frequency identification, skunks, time series analysis
Abstract:
I describe a technique to differentiate between activities of radio-tagged animals solely from radio signals. Signal amplitude and pulse interval data are transformed with time series analysis, and variables measured from the transformation are classified with discriminant function analysis. An example is given with known reference radio signals for three behaviors from striped skunks (Mephitis mephitis) in which 75% of the reference signals are classified correctly. If the classification is adjusted to allow for unclassifiable signals, then 23% are unclassifiable, but of the remaining 77%, 84% are classified correctly.
Agid:
5173179