PubAg

Main content area

Safety and effectiveness of a 12-week course of sofosbuvir and simeprevir ± ribavirin in HCV-infected patients with or without HIV infection: a multicentre observational study

Author:
Bruno, Giuseppe, Saracino, Annalisa, Fabrizio, Claudia, Scudeller, Luigia, Milano, Eugenio, Dell'Acqua, Raffaele, Ladisa, Nicoletta, Fasano, Massimo, Minniti, Salvatore, Buccoliero, Giovanni, Tartaglia, Alessandra, Giammario, Adele, Milella, Michele, Angarano, Gioacchino
Source:
International journal of antimicrobial agents 2017 v.49 no.3 pp. 296-301
ISSN:
0924-8579
Subject:
HIV infections, Hepatitis C virus, Human immunodeficiency virus, anemia, anti-infective agents, blood platelet count, genotype, males, mixed infection, multivariate analysis, observational studies, patients, pruritus
Abstract:
The combination of sofosbuvir and simeprevir ± ribavirin (SOF + SMV ± RBV) for hepatitis C virus (HCV) treatment has been associated with high rates of sustained virological response (SVR). Few data are available regarding this regimen in HIV/HCV co-infected patients. This study evaluated the effectiveness and safety of a 12-week course of SOF + SMV ± RBV in a cohort of HCV monoinfected and HIV/HCV co-infected individuals. HCV-infected patients, with or without HIV infection, receiving a 12-week course of SOF + SMV ± RBV in four Italian centres from February to October 2015, were included in this retrospective observational study. Clinical and biochemical data were retrieved for all patients. A total of 88 individuals were evaluated: 29 (33.0%) HIV/HCV co-infected and 59 (67.0%) monoinfected. Most patients were males with HCV genotype 1b (62.5%) and 1a (25%) infection. RBV was used in 41 HCV monoinfected and 6 HIV/HCV co-infected patients. Cirrhosis was found in 67 patients (76.1%). The most common adverse events (AEs) were rash and/or pruritus (23.9%), fatigue (13.6%) and anaemia (9.1%). Serious AEs occurred in three patients (3.4%). No treatment discontinuations were observed. RBV use was associated with multiple AEs (P = 0.02). An overall SVR12 of 93.2% was achieved; 96.6% in HCV monoinfected and 86.2% in HIV/HCV co-infected individuals, without significance both in univariate (P = 0.09) and multivariate analyses (P = 0.12). A baseline platelet count ≥90 000/mm³ was associated with higher rates of SVR (P = 0.005). A 12-week course of SOF + SMV ± RBV was associated with good safety and high SVR12 rate both in HCV monoinfected and HIV-HCV co-infected individuals.
Agid:
5627865