PubAg

Main content area

Triploid or hybrid tetra: Which is the ideal sterile host for surrogate technology?

Author:
Piva, Lucas Henrique, de Siqueira-Silva, Diógenes Henrique, Goes, Caio Augusto Gomes, Fujimoto, Takafumi, Saito, Taiju, Dragone, Letícia Veroni, Senhorini, José Augusto, Porto-Foresti, Fabio, Ferraz, José Bento Sterman, Yasui, George Shigueki
Source:
Theriogenology 2018 v.108 pp. 239-244
ISSN:
0093-691X
Subject:
Astyanax altiparanae, Hyphessobrycon, Oligosarcus, crossing, diploidy, epithelium, females, fish, gametogenesis, gonads, heat stress, hybrids, males, niches, oocytes, progeny, somatic cells, spermatogonia, spermatozoa, triploidy
Abstract:
This work was aimed at developing an effective procedure to obtain sterile ideal host fish in mass scale with no endogenous germ cells in the germinal epithelium, owning permanent stem-cell niches able to be colonized by transplanted germ cells in surrogate technology experiments. Thus, triploids, diploid hybrids, and triploid hybrids were produced. To obtain hybrid offspring, oocytes from a single Astyanax altiparanae female were inseminated by sperm from five males (A. altiparanae, A. fasciatus, A. schubarti, Hyphessobrycon anisitsi, and Oligosarcus pintoi). Triploidization was conducted by inhibition of the second polar body release using heat shock treatment at 40 °C for 2 min. At 9-months of age, the offspring from each crossing was histologically evaluated to access the gonadal status of the fish. Variable morphological characteristics of the gonads were found in the different hybrids offspring: normal gametogenesis, gametogenesis without production of gametes, sterile specimens holding germ cells, and sterile specimens without germ cells, which were considered “ideal hosts”. However, only in the hybrid derived from crossing between A. altiparanae and A. fasciatus, 100% of the individuals were completely sterile. Among them 83.3% of the male did not present germ cells inside germinal epithelium, having only somatic cells in the gonad. The other 16.7% also presented spermatogonia inside the niches. Such a methodology allows the production of sterile host in mass scale, opening new insights for application of surrogate technologies.
Agid:
5980270