PubAg

Main content area

Integration of chemical looping combustion and supercritical CO2 cycle for combined heat and power generation with CO2 capture

Author:
Chen, Shiyi, Soomro, Ahsanullah, Yu, Ran, Hu, Jun, Sun, Zhao, Xiang, Wenguo
Source:
Energy conversion and management 2018 v.167 pp. 113-124
ISSN:
0196-8904
Subject:
air, carbon dioxide, coal, combustion, cooling, energy conversion, heat, oxygen, power generation, temperature
Abstract:
Chemical looping combustion (CLC) is an emerging technology for energy conversion with inherent CO2 separation. Supercritical CO2 (sCO2) Brayton cycle is a promising way for efficient power production with compactness. In this work, CLC and sCO2 cycle were integrated for combined heat and power (CHP) cogeneration with CO2 capture. Coal was directly used as fuel for CLC, and CLC acted as heat source to drive a sCO2 cycle with reheating and recompression. The heat in sCO2 cooling and CO2 compression processes was recovered for district heating. A comprehensive analysis with first law based efficiency was performed to investigate the performance of the proposed cycle. For a baseline case of the proposed configuration, the net power efficiency was 41.3%, the heating efficiency was 40.4% and the resulting total efficiency was 81.7%, including CO2 compression to 120 bar. The effects of turbine inlet temperature, turbine inlet pressure, fuel reactor temperature, air reactor temperature, oxygen carrier ratio, inert support ratio, and air ratio on the thermal performance, including net power efficiency, heating efficiency, and total efficiency were analyzed as well.
Agid:
6346032