PubAg

Main content area

Reduction of salt in tomato products through the use of seawater

Author:
Crespo, A., Riballo, M. J., Guerrero, P., Ortega, S., Serrano, A., Llerena, J. L., Bejar, F. J., Moran, R., Masa, M., Liviano, D.
Source:
Acta horticulturae 2019 no.1233 pp. 225-232
ISSN:
0567-7572
Subject:
dietary minerals, flavor, nutritive value, seawater, sodium, sodium chloride, tomato products, trace elements
Abstract:
Reduced consumption of salt is associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases and is one of the most viable and cost-effective measures of improving public health on a global scale. Considerable research has been undertaken in the search for a viable alternative to common salt in the diet which maintains flavor without compromising organoleptic qualities. Sea water is one potential alternative, as, in comparison to common salt which is 100% sodium chloride, seawater contains only 86%, with the remaining 14% made up of a comprehensive and balanced range of minerals and trace elements. For this reason a variety of new tomato products have been developed which deliver reduced sodium levels, and higher nutritional quality.
Agid:
6422807